How effective are the e-learning tools? Is this model of education the future of every student? Due to the recent pandemic events, this option has become the only solution to keep the education process stable. However, despite all the advantages of e-learning, can it become a worthy substitution to offline learning? Let’s explore this question.
What you need to know about e-learning
The modern world lives at a very high pace and it might be difficult to keep up with the unbelievable speed of everyday changes. It is especially true for those students who often need to combine the studying process with internships and part-time jobs. That is why some of them choose the option of e-learning to gain more flexibility and free time. After all, it is a great opportunity to save time and still get the necessary information. However, is the online format as effective as an actual presence in a classroom? To answer this question, you need to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of e-learning. The key benefits of the online-based studying process seem to be pretty obvious. You can study at any time you like as you have the access to all the online resources 24/7. Also, you can watch the video materials as many times as you like to get a clearer understanding of the subject. Now, let’s find out what are the disadvantages of e-learning. One of them is the issue of the authenticity of a student’s performance. Teachers can’t be sure in some cases that it was the students who coped with all the assignments instead of hiring or asking someone to do it instead of them. At this point, the predicament of how e-learning works remains to be unresolved. Let’s look at it in more detail.
What is e-learning
Before we make the next step in this research study, we need to offer you the definition of the term we are going to use many times in this article. E-learning is a studying process that is held online with the help of an electronic device (a PC or laptop) and internet access. Different e-learning tools are used during the process to make the studying and assessment processes transparent and easy to use. It has become immensely popular during pandemic times as it is the only option all the educational institutions had to make sure the students could continue the education process. Most probably, its popularity will grow within the next few years.
The process behind e-learning
To understand how e-learning works, it is crucial to mention one important point. The key to an effective process is a smooth interaction between teachers and students. The first characteristic of a great online education is the high quality of lectures and other video materials. The better a teacher can explain even the most challenging topic, the higher the probability of students understanding everything correctly. Furthermore, the interaction between students is of high psychological significance as well. That is why the old-fashioned version of CD-ROM-based models of online education are not that popular nowadays. A more productive approach is to make sure the students are online at the same time and can interact. Of course, it is an imitation of students being offline but from a psychological point of view, this approach works. Therefore, Network-based, Intranet-based, or Internet-based models of e-learning have more value. It is worth mentioning that all of these models still give students the chance to pursue a self-paced studying process.
Drawbacks of e-learning
Now that you know how e-learning works, it is time to review the possible disadvantages of e-learning. After all, nothing is perfect in this world. No matter how exceptional the idea of online classes may seem, there are some possible drawbacks you need to be aware of before you choose this option.
- Unstable connection problems. It is quite irritating when you are answering a question or doing an impromptu speech to get a nice grade and the internet connection suddenly collapses. Similarly, you can get annoyed when you can’t understand something important your teacher or peers are saying due to the same reason. Unfortunately, you can’t control the providers of electricity malfunctioning. The only thing you can do is to wait and hope for the best.
- Doubtful security of online services. As soon as you get a personal account online, there is a risk of being hacked. Internet security is a big issue and is also one of the disadvantages of e-learning. When you are going to choose one of the e-learning programs, make sure to find out the security characteristics before you commit to it. It is going to be quite difficult and time-consuming to prove your innocence if something bad happens.
- Assessment difficulties. It is a challenge to create an assessment model that is objective and not only knowledge- but also practicality-based at the same time. Therefore, the grades students get might not always be the ones they deserve. However, it is difficult to come up with an approach that would guarantee the transparency and objectivity of the process. This might be one of the disadvantages of e-learning and the whole education system as well.
Benefits of e-learning
Now that we’ve discussed the drawbacks, let’s move on to the advantages of e-learning. Some of them are too obvious so we will try to highlight those that might not come to your mind right away but are also worth your consideration.
- Prioritization of tasks. A web-based model of studying gives you the chance to create a schedule that meets the prioritization demands of your daily routine. In other words, you can study and work whenever you have the opportunity. For instance, you can dedicate enough time to massive assignments during your weekends instead of studying during the nighttime. Sleep deprivation is never a good option. One task will not be overlapping with another one. It is a great solution for those who have part-time jobs, kids, etc.
- You still have the access to teachers and peers. It is crucial to understand that you are not going to be isolated during the studying process. You can still communicate with teachers and your colleagues. Ask them questions and they will provide you with more explanations. Group discussions are an option as well. This is one of the valuable advantages of e-learning as it improves your organizational and communication skills.
- Cost-effectiveness and convenience. You save money when you choose online classes instead of traditional ones. Also, you save time as the online lectures take less time and make you focus more. Do not forget that you don’t have to spend time on a commute as the only thing you need to do in the morning is to open your laptop. Besides, when you have a part-time job that is relevant to the education you are getting, you can instantly implement the acquired knowledge in practice.
E-learning tools that are effective
The model of internet-based education continuously improves. It means that the platforms that offer clients online education make sure their software and approach to business are effective. Here are some of the key points that influence the development of the mentioned model.
- Online video. The better the video content the more positive feedback the program is going to get. All the big resources pay close attention to the quality of the content they produce. Therefore, you as a student can benefit by watching not only the videos included in your program but also check some other ones you can find online. The chances are you are going to benefit from them as well.
- Gamification. Most of the students are casual gamers. It means that if someone wants them to understand new material better and faster, there should be some elements of gamification. The offline model of education is not as effective in terms of gamification as the online one. Therefore, you can enjoy simple but insightful games designed to teach you some new exciting details.
- Personalization of the process. A web-based model lets you enjoy the personalized approach. You can choose the necessary options to make the education process more effective from your individual point of view. When you are in a classroom with many other students, this option becomes impossible.
Conclusion: the e-learning effectiveness
So, is it effective? Should you choose it over the traditional education model? Well, it is up to you. Now you are aware of all the benefits and drawbacks and can make an informed decision. From our part, we can assure you that no matter which option you choose, you can always rely on our service. Our talented writers will be glad to help you with any assignment that gives you a headache. We work online and this gives you the chance to turn for our help at any time you like. No matter how late it is, our experts always have time to assist you with a paper you might be struggling with at the moment. Rely on the many guarantees we offer and choose a risk-free cooperation with our paper help team. You will see that our service unlike e-learning has no drawbacks.