What is a college degree and which type do you need to get? If you are asking yourself these questions, you are in the right place to get all the answers. No matter what others might tell you, having a college degree increases your chances of being noticed by renowned companies and getting the job you want. Having only a high school diploma limits your possibilities in many ways. However, education today is a luxury that not everybody can afford to have. That is why you need to have a clear understanding of what you need to get. So, without further ado, let’s have a look at the types of degrees that exist in an international education system.
Types and Their Descriptions
- ·Let’s start with an associate degree. The benefits include spending less time studying as these programs usually take no longer than two years to complete. Many community colleges offer you the opportunity to get an associate degree. Moreover, it is the perfect opportunity to combine your work with studying part-time. In this case, it will take longer for you to get all 60 credits but you can adjust the schedule according to your needs and use a reliable coursework writing service whenever you need online assistance. The downside of this degree is that you can’t count on getting some of the job offers that require a bachelor’s degree. Nonetheless, there is a chance to apply to a bachelor’s program and get some of the credits from an associate degree transferred there. Everything depends on the vocation you are willing to have after getting the diploma.
- The next type is, of course, a bachelor’s degree. The two things you might already be aware of is that the program takes four years and you need 120 credits to complete it. The disciplines you will be studying during the first two years match the ones of an associate degree. That is the reason why it is easy to transfer some of the credits from one degree to another. The remaining two years take the focus on the disciplines that are crucial for the subject area of the chosen major. This is when you might need to pay for essay and hire a professional to assist you. If you think that it is quite easy to understand the logic behind this system, just wait till we get to the fun part. You need to be aware of the two-letter codes that describe the type of bachelor’s degree you are going to get – BA – Bachelor of Arts, BS – Bachelor of Science, BBA – Bachelor of Business Administration, and BE – Bachelor of Engineering. The type, of course, depends on the major that you choose.
- Two in one. What if you can’t choose between two of your passions to decide which major to pick? Don’t worry, you can consider getting a joint degree. Every school usually has a list of specific requirements for getting a double major. So, make sure to learn all of them before you decide to choose this option. To give an idea of what to expect, you will have to take 40 general education credits, 40 credits for the first major, and 40 credits for the second major. After that, you will be able to choose in which of the majors you are willing to get to the next academic level. Speaking of which…
- The next step. If getting one of the two-letter-coded degrees is not enough for you, consider the continuation of your education by taking up a master’s degree program. The motivation to take this step can come from different places. Some are looking for better job opportunities, and others are fond of the process of studying and don’t want to stop. Either way, the program you choose will take around two years to complete. Again, you will get familiar with the two or three-letter-coded types – MA, MS, MBA, etc. Getting a graduate degree means pursuing the goal of becoming a better expert in the field you’ve chosen. Some of the programs have a graduate degree as the highest possible academic level one can get, while others suggest getting a Ph.D. further on. Before you commit to one of the programs, learn everything you can about the diploma opportunities.
- Scary stage. If you are not scared to get to this point of the article, get ready to learn about the details of a doctoral degree. Before you start exploring the benefits of it, let us just warn you that completion of the program might take you from three to ten years. Now even we got speechless for a minute. As you understand, it is a serious step that should take a considerable amount of time to reflect upon – are you ready to dive into this journey or not? Getting a postgraduate degree means working hard on a narrow topic of a chosen research study. The educational institution that is responsible for the program, will give you the required resources to carry out experiments and do the research. If you’ve chosen the vocation of a medical doctor or lawyer, you might be interested in so-called professional degrees. These degrees are focused on specialized training that a specialist in medicine or law requires – Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Juris Doctor (J.D.).
The Choice Is Hard to Make
Now that you are aware of all the types, you can analyze your motivation for getting higher education in detail. Rely on the profession you want to choose. It is not surprising that many students take a gap year after high school to think everything through and make an informed decision. Naturally, you might have doubts about the vocation you are going to pick. It is always a good idea to do your research study and even spend some time as an intern watching the working process of others to see a clear picture. Also, you will see many articles that are dedicated to the ‘professions of the future’. Even though they might be truthful and rely on a thorough analysis, these professions that will be in high demand might not suit you at all. Rely on your passion and interest.